Bay of plenty dating
European settlers arrived throughout the latter half of the 19th century, establishing settlements in Katikati, Te Puke and the Rangitaiki area.
In 1876, settlements were incorporated into counties following the nationwide dissolution of the provincial system.
Further reports of European contact are scarce prior to the arrival of missionary Samuel Marsden to the Tauranga area in 1820.
Initially this stemmed from Tauranga iwi supporting the Waikato iwi in their conflict with the government.
In retaliation, British Crown and government-allied Māori forces attacked the Tauranga iwi, including at the famous Battle of Gate Pā in 1864.
Timber also became a major export in the 1950s, as kiwifruit did later.
The present Bay of Plenty region was formed in 1989 after a nationwide review and shakeup of top-level local government in New Zealand.